The need :
The new equilibrium brings both a big risk and a great opportunity:
- On the one hand, highly profitable, multi-year, time-and-material efforts are history.
They are being replaced by riskier, shorter (often less-than-a-year), fixed-cost efforts.
- On the other hand, on-premise infrastructures are losing ground to cloud deployments.
Short implementations can lead to poorly designed, and poorly used, systems.
Great execution is key to adoption and success, and yet harder than ever:
- Enterprise applications projects have gotten dramatically shorter.
This leaves providers little time to understand client needs, and design good systems.
This leaves clients no time to get proficient with the systems they receive.
- Competition forces providers to make cheaper offerings and reduce their costs.
It is hard to keep change consultants on payroll, and dedicate them full-time to clients.
- The same competition prevents clients staff to dedicate time and effort away from BAU.
It is hard to make good decisions, get new ways of thinking and working – with no time.
- And yet, change is as important as ever, to ensure implementations are successful.